[78-L] A SECOND question for our GG contingent...?!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jul 29 18:40:22 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna Halper" <dlh at donnahalper.com>
> Steven wrote--
>
>>However, very shortly thereafter, SOMEBODY was continuing to
>>press Madison (and Radiex and Van Dyke) records; these seem to
>>start with 5096 (Lou Gold)...and run to 6042 or so. These issues all
>>use old GG "B sides" as their B sides...and as well they use either
>>control numbers or matrices in a 3-digit new series (the last GG numbers
>>used were around 4100).
>
> I saw some ads circa 1930 that advertised them for W.T. Grant stores
> as well, and in fact, a number of department stores throughout the US
> were unloading their GGs at ridiculously low prices.  I can probably
> send you a scan of the ads (the list doesn't accept scans, but I've
> send ads to individual members who were interested), which I have
> somewhere.

Well, a Montgomery Ward catalog offered "slightly defective" Radiex records
(late 20's,IIRC) very cheaply!

Note, however that my "second question" concerned records issued on Madison,
Radiex, Van Dyke (that I recall)...but NOT on Grey Gull...?! These used
earlier
GG "B sides" as their reverses...and offered current hit tunes (late 1930
into 1931).
They used the Madion catalog-number series...and ran, as near as I can find
out, up to at least 6042...but NOBODY seems to know anything about the
company/ies who pressed and sold them!

You MIGHT check Massachusetts court files, and see if there was a buyer for
the assets after GG shut down (c. 11/1930)...?! My personal suspicion is
that
Woolworth intervened in order to continue selling then-current hits on
Madison...
which MIGHT in turn relate to the Crown label they were also selling...?!

Steven C. Barr