[78-L] Mae Questel, the Betty Boop girl

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jul 29 18:16:53 PDT 2009

Very nice website.  I'm glad that you include my favorite Glenn Miller
record, "I Know Why" instead of one of the more popular ones.  But it
was on the flip of "Chattanooga Choo Choo" which DID sell a verified
million copies and for which the FIRST gold record was awarded (it used
to be in the Library of Congress recorded sound office -- is it still
there?) which brings us to my being glad that David and others reacted
so quickly to that bogus claim of Questel's exceedingly rare Decca of
Good Ship Lollipop being a 2 million seller.  As you should now realize
that is quite impossible.  Likewise on your site you have the claim that
BBC Dance Orch/Henry Hall "The Broken Record" Columbia FB 1288 from 1936
likewise sold a million copies.  I doubt a number anywhere near that
could sell in England with its relatively small population, especially
in the depression.  Could the BBC Dance Orch have sold a TOTAL of a
million copies during that era?  Even now the gold and platinum awards
are for smaller quantities in England as compared with the U.S.  You
ought to leave the sentence out with the million selling claim.

I like the Soviet record sleeve with the historic Shabolovka radio
transmitter tower on it.  I've seen that tower close up--right at the
base!  On the Alexander Tsfasman record that you have posted, there are
a couple of things to mention in your citation of it.  The number
"rocy5289-50" is not a record number or anything discographic.  It
actually reads GOST 5289-50, and is the Government manufacturing
standard, 1950 version.  All records in that era had that number GOST
5289 with a suffix number, in this case showing that this specific
pressing was made between 1950 and 1956 when the next version of the
standard was published.  You also note the label as Leningrad Factory
#3.  If you have gotten the "#3" from what you see under the ship above
the label name, actually it is the cyrillic initials LZ for
Lennengradsky Zavod which means Leningrad Factory.