[78-L] Jan Savitt and vocalists

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Jul 29 11:34:53 PDT 2009

> =========
> We're always being told about the trials and tribulations of the Artie
> Shaw band travelling with Billie Holiday, but I've never read anything
> about the Savitt band on tour with Bon Bon, or Jimmy Dorsey with June
> Richmond. Perhaps they were only there for studio recordings?
>
>      Julian Vein

I don't know about what if anything happened with June but I have seen a
number of photos of live Savitt gigs with Bon Bon and have read about his
touring with the band,  including one incident where he was denied some
service at the hotel or ballroom,  so refused to come on stage except for
the part of the show which was broadcast.

There is one often-published photo of Savitt and Bon Bon on stage.  The
singer is doing what looks like a little dance step and Savitt has the
biggest and most joyous grin on his face you could imagine.   I am sure
Savitt had great respect for George Tunnell (BB's real name) as an artist
and person.

And back to Carlotta Dale for a moment.  I recall an anecdote in (I think)
Simon's "The Big Bands" that she was injured in a car accident while Savitt
was driving,  and that it affected her looks.  She later also recorded some
sides with Will Bradley,  but after that she vanishes from the radar.   She
sings in a way lower range than most "girl singers" of the time,  and on
perfect pitch;  the voice  is dramatic without sounding forced.  She was a
great singer and deserves to be better-remembered.

Taylor