[78-L] same or similiar

Elizabeth McLeod lizmcl at midcoast.com
Wed Jul 29 10:00:06 PDT 2009

Basically, the situation between Columbia and United Independent
Broadcasters was that Columbia Phonograph bought $100,000 worth of air
time from Judson's partner George Coats  before the network went on the
air, with the idea of reselling it to other sponsors. The Columbia
Phonograph Broadcasting Company was set up as a paper corporation to
manage these sales, and actually had no other connection with UIB. But
because Columbia was going to act as the main sales agent for the
project, they convinced Coats and Judson to use the "Columbia
Broadcasting System" as the on-air name.

Columbia found, however, that it couldn't sell the time, and ended up
bailing out of the project before the sign-on in September 1927. But by
then publicity about the "Columbia Broadcasting System" had already gone
out and it was too late to bother changing the name, so it went out that
way. There is no evidence that "Phonograph" was ever part of any on-air
identification, and a good bit of evidence that it wasn't, despite what
many authors have claimed.

What's often forgotten is that between Columbia's bailout and the arrival
of Paley, Coats -- who was a con man of Kingfish-like proportions --
managed to convince Philadelphia sportsman Jerome Louchheim to pump
several million dollars into the project to keep it going into the middle
of 1928. During this period there were actually three separate
corporations involved -- UIB, which managed the technical operations of
the network, Columbia Broadcasting Company, which handled time sales, and
Judson Program Service, which managed talent. It was a clumsy, bungling
sort of enterprise which operated for over a year as little more than a
blind for Coats's bogus stock promotions before Paley came along with his
own millions, paid off Louccheim, ran Coats out the door, and merged the
three corporations into the one Columbia Broadcasting System. Judson
retained a minority interest in the new enterprise, and the Judson
Program Service continuted as a sub-office of CBS at least into the early
thirties, as their equivalent to the NBC Artists Bureau.

Elizabeth