[78-L] same or similiar

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jul 29 09:34:21 PDT 2009

I don't understand your conflict of interest comment, because Arthur
Judson was one of the founders of United Independent Broadcasters prior
to the investment of Columbia Records which lent its name to the network
run by United.  When Bill Paley bought in about a year later he dropped
the United name and used the Columbia name for both the company and the
network.  Judson was largely out of the network when he began his
syndication company, but who did you expect him to use for his
pressings?   The sister company of NBC, RCA Victor?????

So while there was a real connection between the use of the name
Columbia between the broadcaster and the record company, and none with
the bycycle, likewise there was no connection between the Victor
projector and record company.  But there was some confusion.  Steve
Allen wrote about it in an article that he reprinted in one of his
books.  When he asked "Why 'Victor'?" on his TV show, I think that he
wrote that he got a letter from the founder of the projector company
whose name was Victor, who wrote that he had been a friend of Eldridge
Johnson and that Nipper was HIS dog, and that Johnson had borrowed his
name and his dog's image!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "Don Chichester" <dnjchi78 at live.com>
From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>