[78-L] George Russell

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 07:28:11 PDT 2009

David Lewis wrote:

> There's a nice CD on the Rare Live Recordings label, from various dates.
>

> Thanks Julian, I figured you knew which George Russell it was; my note was mainly addressed to Mike. I appreciate hearing the specs on negatives as applied to favorite artists of mine, and agree that the "Tenement Symphony" jibe is funny: that was the title of the terrible song sung by Tony Martin in The Marx Brothers' "The Big Store." I agree the piece "NY NY" has a similar kind of pompousness, but I think the intentions behind it were sincere.
>

> I do take issue with the soloists; you don't like Hal McKusick? I think that guy has one of the loveliest tones I've heard and real expressiveness, a penchant for holding back that is in itself, artistic. I think Bill Evans (piano) work with Russell are the best things he did outside of the context of his own groups. He's on this track, with McKusick -- it's the middle portion of "All About Rosie" as recorded in 1957 (before the Miles Davis version).
Actually, I was thinking more of the Riverside and Decca albums.
Musicians like John Pierce, Paul Plummer and Dave Young (weren't there
two of 'em?).

Regarding "A Tenement Symphony", I do have a sneaking affection for the
Larry Clinton version with Peggy Mann and Butch Stone!

       Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4288 (20090729) __________

http://www.eset.com