[78-L] George Russell

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 29 07:08:04 PDT 2009

Julian Vein wrote:

Yes, I knew which one was being referred to. I have his RCA, Riverside
and Decca LPs (except "New York, New York", the title of which suggested
to one reviewer at the time "A Tenement Symphony"). Apart from Al Kiger
and Dave Baker, and possibly Don Ellis, I thought his soloists weren't
that strong.

Nothing after about 1962 appeals to me, including his electronic stuff.

There's a nice CD on the Rare Live Recordings label, from various dates.

Thanks Julian, I figured you knew which George Russell it was; my note was mainly addressed to Mike. I appreciate hearing the specs on negatives as applied to favorite artists of mine, and agree that the "Tenement Symphony" jibe is funny: that was the title of the terrible song sung by Tony Martin in The Marx Brothers' "The Big Store." I agree the piece "NY NY" has a similar kind of pompousness, but I think the intentions behind it were sincere.

I do take issue with the soloists; you don't like Hal McKusick? I think that guy has one of the loveliest tones I've heard and real expressiveness, a penchant for holding back that is in itself, artistic. I think Bill Evans (piano) work with Russell are the best things he did outside of the context of his own groups. He's on this track, with McKusick -- it's the middle portion of "All About Rosie" as recorded in 1957 (before the Miles Davis version).

http://www.box.net/shared/unxmloqnt5

I agree about the post-1962 work for the most part, although I like the "Electronic Organ Sonata No. 1" (1968) pretty well, being a keyboard player and interested in electronic music generally.

I'll be on the lookout for the CD you suggested.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com