[78-L] Fonotipia/Odeon Query.

Michael Quinn mbquinn at powerup.com.au
Wed Jul 29 06:51:29 PDT 2009

Spats wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I was just playing some new purchases; all 10.5" Fonotipias and
>Odeons and 'speeding' them.
>
>Although there was crossover, as always, does anyone know if the
>company used Fonotipia label for their 'higher class' artistes, just
>as HMV created their 'Red Label' series, while keeping the brown
>label Odeon series for lesser celebrities. It seems so to me, but
>that's just my impression.
>
>Does anyone KNOW anything about this?
>
>Thanks...
>
>Earl.

Hello Earl,
    The Brown label was used  broadly for domestic issues of the
International Talking Machine Company  throughout its various sales
territories. The catalogue numerical series would be assigned according
to the individual country but the label would be standardised. Thus
important artists such as Delmas, Litvinne, Destinn will show up on
Brown label alongside polkas and comic songs.
 Fonotipia has a much narrower reportoire and a  more deliberate
international quality  from the beginning and a fairly widespread
distribution by 1907. Unfortunately the sales of Fonotipia were quite
tiny when compared with the overall sales of all the other discs
produced by the ITMC factory in Berlin.

Some records issued originally as 39000 series Fonotipia were  reissued
in Italy with Brown Odeon labels in the 59000 series e.g. De Luca, De
Macchi etc.
I've seen choral items coupled with solos on Fonotipia where the choral
item receives an Italian Odeon  37000 number and the important side has
a Fonotipia 39000 number but both sides sport Fonotipia labels.
French Fono titles sometimes ended up with Odeon labels in later years
though most early Paris Fonos seem to disappear entirly from the catalogues.
Unlike the Gramophone Company there isn't a  large international
celebrity catalogue with the Odeon label though you do have the special
Blue Lilli Lehmann series in Germany around 1907. In France there was
the very rare white label Odeon Simplex  and later Odeon de-luxe all
with higher prices attached.
Best Wishes
Mike Quinn