[78-L] 45 to 78 in semi-tones - help! I need a math major!

davdieh at aol.com davdieh at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 05:29:19 PDT 2009

From: Rodger Holtin <rjh334578 at yahoo.com>
>I'm using Nero as my digital editor and just recently discovered how to change some speeds.? For instance, my first discovery was that I recorded a 3 3/4 tape played at 7 1/2 and could cut the speeding tape back down to the right pitch and speed by cutting it by 12 semi-tones.? Now I need to figure out how to play a bouncy bent aluminum-base "acetate" 78 at 45 and use the semi-tones thingy to speed it back up correctly.
Any thoughts out there??
>Rodger

OK,
45 to 78 would be 173.33%
You calculate the conversion by multiplying 1.0595 by itself for the number of semitones and then multiply that result by 100.
Which puts you smack dab in the middle:
9 Semitones Up =168%
10 Semitones Up =178%
You will have to use the pitch correction on your turntable to deal with the quarter tone.
Keep in mind that the EQ will be wrong if your are not doing flat transfers.
I hope you know someone with perfect pitch to check your results. ;-)
Good luck,
-Rube Goldberg