[78-L] 45 to 78 in semi-tones - help! I need a math major!

Christopher Steward chris.1picc at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 05:04:02 PDT 2009

You need to raise the original by 9.5 semitones. I arrived at that practically, and used a stroboscope to check speeds, so I think that gives 78.26, if I remember correctly. (The theory is easy - in theory. A semitone rise means multiplying the original frequency by 1.0594631, which is the 12th root of 2, i.e. dividing the octave into 12 semitones. To be more precise involves finding the 100th root of 1.0594631 for each cent - no thanks.)
Chris