[78-L] Historic Masters.

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jul 28 23:13:31 PDT 2009

Tom Fine (son of Bob Fine and Wilma Cozart Fine of Mercury Living
Presence Stereo) did some research and posted on the ARSCList earler
this year a listing of all of the record pressing plants still in
operation.  A vinyl record is a vinyl record, speed doesn't matter.  But
as Steve mentions, the 78s, like your Historic Masters pressings, will
be vinyl, not shellac.  He has said in the past that it bothers him (he
didn't consider any record that was not shellac a "78" no matter what
the speed) but vinyl 78s bothers nobody else.

Perhaps the most recent newly pressed (and recorded!) acoustical
widegroove 78 commercially sold record by a major label was the disc in
the EMI 100th anniversary set by Roberto Alagna in 1997, 7243 5 72399 2
9 .  The disc's number was 7243 5 72396 6 3 with matrix numbers OEA
20136-10 and 37-10.  "No Pagliaccio Non Son" b/w "Musica Proibita".  It
came in a box with a CD and a VHS videocassette of the recording
session.

Like the Historic Masters, there are a couple of hobbyist companies
selling newly moulded cylinders, and there is a dealer working on a
process of moulding acrillic reproductions of Diamond Discs moulded from
original discs.  He's been successful in making experimental single
sided pressings that are playable on Edison machines.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com