[78-L] Estimated Survival of Shellac 78s in 2109??

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jul 28 22:34:51 PDT 2009

Many of the South East Asia archives have extraordinary problems if they
do not have atmospheric controls like you do.  I heard some horror
stories at the SEAPAVA and IASA conferences in Canberra and Singapore I
attended.  But shelved tapes are not automatically remaining playable
just because they are not being used.  If any of the acetate base tape
stock is going to get vinegar syndrome, it can still happen.  If your
backcoated mylar tape is of a batch that will get stick shed syndrome,
it can still happen.

There are still some professional open reel machines being manufactured,
some pro and consumer grade audio cassette machines, and consumer grade
VHS players being made as part of DVD combo units.  You may have to go
outside India, but they are there -- but will not be there within
another 5 years.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: umashankar <umashanks at yahoo.com>

From: Michael Biel <mbiel at mbiel.com>
>> But your last question, about how much time we have to get the 78s
 re-recorded, is opposite from what past history has shown.  Every
medium
 that has been used to re-record 78s has been proven to have a shorter
 life than the original 78s.  Tape is doomed.  Digital is repeatedly
made
 obsolete. Digital is useful only as a convenience and as a distribution
 means to replicate numerous copies so that maybe some of them will
 survive.

 Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com