[78-L] A SECOND question for our GG contingent...?!

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Tue Jul 28 21:57:49 PDT 2009

At 11:55 PM 7/28/2009, you wrote:
>Okeh...
>
>We know that Grey Gull disappeared in the late fall of 1930...right?

 From my earlier notes, here's a few things we DO know for certain:

The Grey Gull company was incorporated in Massachusetts on 31
December 1919.  The first listing for the new business appeared in
the 1920 Boston City Directory:  "Grey Gull Record Company, Talking
Machine Records, 295 Huntington Ave, rm. 207, and 81 Wareham
St."  The Huntington Avenue address, which was in an office building,
was located near hotels and music schools, while the Wareham Street
location, not far from a commercial district, was probably Grey
Gull's warehouse and manufacturing location.

By the next City Directory, owner Theodore Lyman Shaw had a new
address--  598 Columbia Road in the Boston neighbourhood of
Dorchester (not near downtown Boston at all-- probably chosen for its
cheaper rent and its closeness to a large theatre, the Strand, which
still had vaudeville and stage shows, and live performers Shaw might
use on his records).

Several years later, circa 1923-24, Shaw, as well as his record
company and his Shaw Advertising Agency (he had worked in advertising
since about 1914), moved again, this time to 135 Dorchester Avenue,
on the South Boston/Dorchester line.  There was also a Grey Gull
warehouse and manufacturing plant around the corner on MacAllen
Street.  And in addition to Grey Gull Records, there was now an
associated label called Radiex, whose mailing address continued to be
598 Columbia Road. (Today, the Strand Theatre is still standing, but
all other reminders of what was once Grey Gull are long gone, having
been replaced by a superhighway called the Southeast Expressway.)

[Btw, Will Dodge seems to have been the only local bandleader who
made any recordings for GG.  I have no evidence that Joe Rines or Leo
Reisman did.]

The 1930 Census still lists Shaw as a manufacturer of phonograph
records, but that's the last time he is associated with records.

The reason 1930-31 are crucial is that Theodore Lyman Shaw came from
a wealthy family which seems to have finally shut off the subsidies
when his father Robert and brother Robert Jr died-- his brother had
been listed as GG's treasurer, and his father was listed as a member
of GG's board of directors.  The brother died in 1930, the father in
1931.  GG ceases to have listings in phone books or city directories
after that, and the Shaw Advertising agency also vanishes from sight.