[78-L] Greta Woodson dies

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Sun Jul 26 16:20:03 PDT 2009

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but I just received word
that vocalist Greta Woodson has died at the age of 103. She recorded
several solo sides for Victor starting in 1926 and was the vocalist on
the great Jean Goldkette record of "Just Imagine" from 1928. She must
surely have been among the last (if not *the* last) living musician to
have recorded with the Goldkette band in the '20s. I'll copy her
obituary from the Newkirk (Oklahoma) Herald Journal below.

Bryan W.

---------------------------------------

Newkirk’s own Greta Cottrell Heslet and last year’s historical
character for Charlie Adams Day died Friday May 22, 2009 at the
wonderful age of 103.  She was born on South Main Street in Newkirk,
Oklahoma Territory on December 16, 1905.

After high school graduation, she attended Phillips University in
Enid, OK.  Her music career began in Oklahoma City after she was
discovered on WKY Radio Station.  She sang with the big bands during
the “Big Band Era.”  After her musical tours and life subsided, she
became interested in studying painting.  In 1972, with paints and oil
in hand she began studying with various instructors.  Oil was her
preferred medium.

  Greta’s zest for living has taken her to visit many countries.  She
liked people of other lands and customs.  She was married 5 times and
widowed 4 times.  A friend said, “When the neighborhood gets dull,
Greta gets married.”

  She was the parish secretary at the Trinity Episcopal Church working
with Rev. Curt Junker.  She was an avid golfer and described herself
as “a fair-weather golfer – just pitch and putt.”

  Her husbands were Ernie Story, Harry Saye, Frank Mill, and Dale
Heslet.  She is survived by two step-sons, Jim Heslet Bartlesville and
Bobby Saye, numerous nieces and nephews; great nieces and nephews.
Her service was held at Trinity Episcopal Church in Tulsa with
interment at Memorial Park Cemetery.  Friends may contribute to St.
Simeon’s Retirement Village or Trinity Episcopal Church in her memory.