[78-L] Wet CDs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 26 16:05:48 PDT 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> I believe these are all CD-Rs with printed labels.

Not just regular CDs.

> What's the safest  procedure for drying them? A towel,
> and leave them out in the air for a while?

It all depends on how they were printed.  Paper labels or directly on
the disc?  Printed with laser printer or ink jet?  If directly on the
disc, with or without a white coating?  If coated, rough or smooth?

If paper labels, there might be big trouble because they might start to
wrinkle.  This is why paper labels should never be used because they go
onto the most easily damaged side of the disc.  There is only a think
coating of lacquer before you hit the metal and the moulded pits.

If printed with an ink jet on either a rough white coating or the paper,
the ink will run.  If printed with real ink on the lacquer coating, they
will probably act like regular CDs but might start to scratch off if you
are not careful.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com