[78-L] Durium Hit of the Week 'Hoard'

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jul 26 15:46:37 PDT 2009

You are right.  Jacket is another term that we use for cover.  And
especially since "cover" has taken on a meaning of any re-recording of
ANY song, maybe we should use jacket instead of cover to end confusion.
I've even seen idiots writing about covering a Beethoven symphony.

There were plenty of inner sleeves for specific records.  There were
lyric and photos for pop records and I think there were some
continuation from the outer cover even on classical.  "archy and
mehitabel" was originally issued on Columbia Masterworks with an
oversized outer cover and a cardboard inner sleeve with notes and
drawings continued from the outer cover.  Later pressings had a normal
cover and the notes printed on a 12 x 12 paper.  Sgt Peppers had a
special three red waves design inner sleeve plus an 11 x 11 card with
cutouts.  Rolling Stones "Some Girls" had multiple inner sleeves as
lawsuits removed one then another picture of some of the girls.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com