[78-L] Motown on 78 and weird Filipino labels

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 26 14:25:14 PDT 2009

Kristjan Saag wrote:
> ---
> Somehow I don't like the idea that the guy who claims the longest copyright
> term also can claim the right to call all issues who no longer need his
> authorization, "unauthorized" and "pirates". Which also leads to the
> somewhat odd categorization: "legal pirates" and "illegal pirates".
> Naxos made the mistake issuing those EMI recordings in the US without
> checking if there was a US license involved.

Naxos made the mistake of being visible and having a US address. EMI was on
record as saying they couldn't care less about anyone issuing 1930s recordings
that they'd made. It was Capitol that made the stink in the New York State
Supreme Court, and now any other import reissues containing EMI-owned product
(including Blue Note, Imperial, Liberty) is illegal to sell in the US.