[78-L] Top Ten Soundalikes

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 23 20:06:04 PDT 2009

Sammy Jones wrote:
> Many thanks to David Lennick for the wonderful CD sets of the Top Ten
> albums!  Assembling a complete collection of the original 78s would probably
> take hundreds of dollars.
>
> Question:  upon a cursory listen, it seems obvious to me that none of the
> shows' actual theme tunes are used.  They are all soundalikes!  Even "The
> Yankee Doodle Boy"/"Love in Bloom" medley in the Jack Benny album is a
> soundalike.
>
> Did Top Ten not want to go to the expense to license the real deals?
>
> It seems like the Jack Benny segments are very familiar to me even though
> I'm positive I've never heard the album before.  Is it possible they were
> used on a "Best of" Jack Benny set?  Possibly a tape from Metacom/Adventures
> in Cassettes?
>
> Sammy Jones

I'm assuming they went for "soundalikes" to avoid paying for the real things,
although the Amos 'n' Andy set used "Angel's Serenade" which I believe they
substituted for "The Perfect Song" during the ASCAP ban. On the other hand, the
Jack Benny album did play "Love In Bloom" in its entirety. That set might sound
familiar because it WAS issued on LP, in a Murray Hill set, or at least parts
of it were. Metacom might have used that material as well. I know the Duffy's
Tavern set appeared on LP because I've seen a print ad for it in an old Schwann
catalog.