[78-L] Top Ten Soundalikes

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 23 19:59:39 PDT 2009

Many thanks to David Lennick for the wonderful CD sets of the Top Ten
albums!  Assembling a complete collection of the original 78s would probably
take hundreds of dollars.

Question:  upon a cursory listen, it seems obvious to me that none of the
shows' actual theme tunes are used.  They are all soundalikes!  Even "The
Yankee Doodle Boy"/"Love in Bloom" medley in the Jack Benny album is a
soundalike.

Did Top Ten not want to go to the expense to license the real deals?

It seems like the Jack Benny segments are very familiar to me even though
I'm positive I've never heard the album before.  Is it possible they were
used on a "Best of" Jack Benny set?  Possibly a tape from Metacom/Adventures
in Cassettes?

Sammy Jones