[78-L] George Cleveland

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Tue Jul 21 10:34:09 PDT 2009

t seems as if they started easing Timmy into the 4th season because Jan
Clayton wanted out and Tommy Rettig was getting too old, then they fired just
about everybody when Cleveland died in July 1957.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie_(1954_TV_series)

dl

I know I wasn't curious at the time but looking back on it now, it's surprising that they were still shooting the season in the summer.  If my memory serves me, (and I haven't thought about this since then), it was in mid-season when Cleveland died and they had to scramble to set up a post-gramps episode.  I'm sure you're aware that Tommy Rettig, (who was a year older than me), has also died.  I met him once at the CNE grandstand when he, Lassie and the other boy on the series then, (an overweight kid whose name I've forgotten - the name "Porky" comes to mind but I don't think they would have used such a politically improper name even in the 50s), were performing at the CNE.

db