[78-L] Decca's Music of Our Time series & transcriptions

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 21 09:34:13 PDT 2009

Stephen Davies wrote:
> DL writes:
> <<<
> And I believe the Songs Of Our Times sets were put out on World before
> being issued as album sets.
>         Oh, right, I have some of those too.  I'm many months away from
> being able to play them, but I assumed they were dubs from the original 78
> rpms.  Is that a correct assumption?
>         Did these transcription series dub often?
> - Stephen D
> in Calgary

Decca duplicated quite a bit of material on World, from the original masters.
Everything was recorded on 33rpm 16-inch discs from 1942 till they went to
tape. In some cases, World got an alternate or a custom recording..the Oklahoma
Suite with the Los Angeles Philharmonic is an entirely different recording from
the 4-part set issued on Decca 78s. It plays through and has musical links
rather than being dubbed from the 4 separate sides.