[78-L] Tops and Top 10 and so on

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 20 15:21:44 PDT 2009

agp wrote:
> At 21:49 20/07/2009, Somebody wrote:
>> 2) Since the artists were otherwise unknown, I doubt if we shall EVER know
>> if the credits are actual artists or "noms du disque"...?!
>

> Off topic but on topic --- one person who is known top have done
> vocals and played on those "20 Chart Toppers" elpees of the late 60s
> in the UK was none other than Elton John. In fact, rpm records in the
> UK released a cd of some the tracks a few years back as a compilation
> called Reg Dwight's Piano Goes Pop. Fun stuff

Which, if we're not careful, could lead us down the path of Gerry Dorsey, David
Jones and other pre-poppers before they changed their names. I've also found
Matt Monro on Thesaurus Transcriptions, which was getting a lot of easy
listening and show music material from Britain in the 50s (and which in turn
may have ended up on budget labels here).