[78-L] Summertime [was Acoustic women pop singers]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 15:31:06 PDT 2009

David Weiner wrote:

> Whaaat?? "Summertime" is as far from a "mammy song" as you can get - it has
> none of the syrupy sentimentality of that genre and if anything, is a
> lullaby, which is how it's sung in PORGY AND BESS.  And the lyrics are sheer
> poetry - nothing like "I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles."
>
> Dave W.

It's both "Mammy" and "cotton-picking paradise":

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Oh, Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky

But until that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With your daddy and mammy standing by

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

In fact, "Porgy and Bess" is a load of patronising crap. "Summertime"
has a great melody though!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4259 (20090719) __________

http://www.eset.com