[78-L] I Loves You Porgy (and Bess)

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jul 19 15:14:08 PDT 2009

> Whaaat?? "Summertime" is as far from a "mammy song" as you can get - it
> has
> none of the syrupy sentimentality of that genre and if anything, is a
> lullaby, which is how it's sung in PORGY AND BESS.  And the lyrics are
> sheer
> poetry - nothing like "I'd walk a million miles for one of your smiles."
>
> Dave W.

I inferred from Julian's comments that he was speaking of the Holiday
rendition and not the song itself.  The lyrics are beautiful as is the
melody,   but I don't think she does justice to either.

I recently got a  1935 Henry King Orch   MacGregor & Solie of "Summertime"
b/w an instrumental of "I've Got Plenty of Nothin' " and they do a bang-up
and very musical job on both.

Taylor