[78-L] Life in the Fast Lane

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 19 12:26:44 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
>> One important point about the Deccas is that unless they're Los Angeles
>> recordings, they need to be sped up by around 3 percent.
>>
>> dl
>

> Interesting...I have twiddled the speed on the Deccas from time to time.
> They were running slow,  and I wondered if I was playing them "half-fast."
>
> Jeez,  "around" 3%.  I'm such a non-techy I hardly know where to start.
> Reminds me of the gag on one of the Bob & Ray sketches where the radio
> announcer is droning on and says "We'll have the correct time for you in
> about ten minutes,  but first these words from..."
>
> Oh...what about the Deccas from San Francisco, i.e. the four sides by
> Williams-Walsh and their Hotel Mark Hopkins Orchestra,  noted by Rust as
> recorded in SF  "c. January 1935."  Are those "up to speed" or not?
>

> Taylor
>
> _____________________________

Depends on whether they were recorded on LA's equipment or where. LA recordings
are pretty close to correct speed. New York and Chicago Deccas are usually
close to a half tone low, which is where a pitchpipe or tone generator or
keyboard will come in handy.

Say kids, what time is it?

Bluebottle: What time is it Eccles?

Eccles: Err, just a minute. I've got it written down here on a piece of paper.
A nice man wrote the time down for me this morning.

Bluebottle: Then why do you carry it around with you, Eccles?

Eccles: Well, if anybody asks me the time, I can show it to them.

Bluebottle: Wait a minute Eccles, my good man...

Eccles: What is it fellow?

Bluebottle: It's writted on this bit of paper, what is eight o'clock, is writted.

Eccles: I know that my good fellow. That's right. When I asked the fella to
write it down, it was eight o'clock.

Bluebottle: Well then, supposing when somebody asks you the time, it isn't
eight o'clock?

Eccles: Then I don't show it to them.

Bluebottle: Well how do you know when it's eight o'clock?

Eccles: I've got it written down on a piece of paper!