[78-L] Life in the Fast Lane

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jul 19 12:10:46 PDT 2009

> One important point about the Deccas is that unless they're Los Angeles
> recordings, they need to be sped up by around 3 percent.
>
> dl

Interesting...I have twiddled the speed on the Deccas from time to time.
They were running slow,  and I wondered if I was playing them "half-fast."

Jeez,  "around" 3%.  I'm such a non-techy I hardly know where to start.
Reminds me of the gag on one of the Bob & Ray sketches where the radio
announcer is droning on and says "We'll have the correct time for you in
about ten minutes,  but first these words from..."

Oh...what about the Deccas from San Francisco, i.e. the four sides by
Williams-Walsh and their Hotel Mark Hopkins Orchestra,  noted by Rust as
recorded in SF  "c. January 1935."  Are those "up to speed" or not?

Taylor