[78-L] Isham Jones

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jul 19 11:48:23 PDT 2009

Hi Fred,

I agree that these first Jones Deccas a pretty dang hot,  but the Decca
sound is very flat by comparison with the sound of the Victors.  In fact the
band sounds smaller than it does on the Victors,  but that may again be a
function of the recording engineering and studio sound.

I like hot instrumentals along the lines of the ones you mentioned,  but
have a great affection for jazzy versions of really good popular tunes,  of
which there are more examples  on Victor than on Decca.

My fave of the hot Deccas is Jimtown Blues,  which he didn't do for Victor.
That would have been a treat.  I still think the best of all the Jones hot
instrumentals is the Victor of Georgia Jubilee,  where they get a very,
very relaxed swing...and with that  Jack Jenney trombone coda,  which gives
me a pleasurable chill every time I play it.

Taylor