[78-L] "Folk" music...?!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 18 20:27:23 PDT 2009

Note here (as I often try to point out!) that the above term refers
to two TOTALLY different musical phenomenae...?!

The first (which I call "Capital-F Folk music!") is the music that
generally appears sans any official credits and becomes an important
part of a culture. SOME of this may have been originally created
"for profit" (North American examples here would include "Happy
Birthday" and "You Are My Sunshine"...!)...others have (AFAIK)
never been traced to their origins; however, virtually all European
ethnic cultures have their own set of "folk songs!"

The second is a 20th/21st century phenomenon. "Folk Singers"
are self-accompanied...usually on guitar...and sing tunes of their
own creation, often concerning something they see as an
important situation. Musical incompetence is viewed more as
a sign of authenticity than a negative!

Records of both (the first group are rarely recorded!) are
placed in a "FOLK" bin in record stores! As a result,
the two are all too often confused or, worse, equated;
nevertheless, they are still two TOTALLY different
forms of music!

Steven C. Barr