[78-L] Keep Young and Beautiful (and collecting)

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jul 18 19:38:09 PDT 2009

> Keep in mind that (as I noticed at the most recent CCC?!) we
> 78-ophiles are almost all "senior citizens" or close thereunto...and
> thus approaching the end of our life-spans!

> ...stevenc

I think Steven is overstating the situation.  I have personally met several
collectors who are in their 20s and 30s,  and encountered quite a few others
when I was selling 78s for a while on eBay around 2002.    And that was
without even really trying.

One undeniable benefit from the internet for 78 and all kinds of
collecting...it has provided a market place and forum for all sorts of
information,  and for materials which might have stayed in attics and
basements for many more years...or even been tossed in the garbage.   This
is not to say that there isn't plenty of misinformation out there,  as well
as junky junk being offered as "collectors items,"  but the general results
have been well to the good.  Unlike the old days,  when a budding record
collector's opportunities often depended on how many junk stores he or she
could visit,  now anyone can browse through the internet and find the same
range of stuff...from crap to gems...and depending on one's budget,  all
available to whoever comes up with the money.

BTW the same idea about few or no young collectors circulates in the rare
book trade as well,  and again I've found the opposite to be true.  It's not
like there are millions of collectors out there,  but that's never been the
case.  It's always been a matter of a few dedicated individuals followed by
a certain number of more casual  participants.

There will be a market for this stuff in 50 or 60 years,  after most of us
have been returned to the Great Distributor in the Sky.

Taylor