[78-L] Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Collecting vs. 'Investing'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 18 19:17:39 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Smith" <malcolms at redshift.com>
> Curious seeing reference to Hobbies magazine. Unless my memory is
> wrong, the articles that used to appear in it to do with record
> collecting were by Aida Artsay. I apologize if I've spelled it
> incorrectly. I recall visiting her at her home. She had quite a
> collection of, yes, records.

True...but she wrote about "serious" record collecting (i.e. classical
vocal records); from c.1940-41 on, Jim Walsh wrote a (first sporadic
and then regular) column for Hobbies on popular 78's. In fact, it
would be a worth-while job to find the necessary Hobbies issues,
and then scan and post to the Internet all of Jim's columns!

I used to own a LOT of Hobbies back issues...but after two
personal disasters created by "anti-pack-rat" idio...er, individuals...
I'm no longer sure that I have even a single remaining copy...?!

Steven C. Barr