[78-L] Second Line

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 18 11:11:36 PDT 2009

I'm in New Orleans this week (sorry, Gary, I'm not in Austin but I will get to Waterloo as fast as I can) and in a used bookstore found the winter 1977 edition of The Second Line which was the publication of the New Orleans Jazz Club.  It is volume xxix so it was nearing it's thirtieth year of publication at the time.

In 48 pages there were the following:

The lead article was by Merrill Hammond and was about "Collecting Hot" and told of his record collecting that began in 1934.

The second article was by Gilbert Erskine and profiled Milt Gabler and Commodore Record Shop and Commodore Records.  One of the photos shows Gabler in his shop (with the rows and rows of 78s) in 1940.  He is sitting on cartons of a fresh shipment of Delaunay's "Hot Discography."   Mr. Biel mentions this and it appears the same day before my eyes.

The third article is a remembrance of Connee Boswell who had died in October 1976.  Many of the members of the Jazz Club had personal stories to tell.

The fourth article profiled Jazz Club member Ed Garland who was the last surviving person to have PLAYED with Buddy Bolden.

The fifth article talked of Irving Fazola and the part he played in the development of the Glenn Miller sound.

On page 45 it says "Blessed be the names of record collectors, for their perserverance and insight are the torches needed by those who stumble by firefly-light.  Truly, they have preserved the evidence and their reissues shall live after them.  Their steps to Salvation will resound on tapes all the days of our lives.  Go and do likewise."

And then it lists "Squirrel Ashcraft, George Avakian, Harry Avery, Orin Blackstone, Rudi Blesh, John Chilton, Milt Gabler, Gordon Gullickson, John Hammond, Merrill Hammond, George Hoefer, Ken Hulsizer, George Kay, Hoyte Kline, Bill Love, Hugues Panassie, Bill Russell, Steve Smith, Edmond Souchon, Harry Souchon, Marshall Stearns, John Steiner, et al.   Amen"

Anybody out there have other issues of this publication?  I would love to find more.

Bill McClung
bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
EarthLink Revolves Around You.