[78-L] Billie

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 18 07:39:45 PDT 2009

I'll be playing Billie's 78s she did with Oscar Peterson on Mercury late in
her career.  Her voice is playfully craggy.  The musicians are loose and
having fun and aren't making her carry the full weight of any song.

These versions of Moonglow, Lover Come Back to Me,  I Only Have Eyes for
You, and Blue Moon are how I like to think of her first, even before
Wilson's Georgia on My Mind, my favorite of the Columbias.

pull out "God Bless the Child" and give it a spin for Billie. Me? That's
too much of a downer to play by itself, so I'm adding her 1935 Brunswick
recording of "What a Little Moonlight Can Do" with Benny and Teddy.