[78-L] Subject: Re: Collecting vs. 'Investing'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jul 17 19:42:23 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Margaret Still" <mgstill at bellsouth.net>
> Though there aren't too many women with the record collecting drive, I
> don't
> think the impulse is different in men and women.

Interestingly enough...I wonder if "the female of the species" in fact has
the
same innate urge to "collect"...regardless of WHAT is being collected...than
does the male? NO sexism intended here...but keep in mind that I am NOT
entirely sure that the "collect" urge/lifestyle is fully understood by those
whose assigned task is "figuring out" us humans...?!

Having spoken to MANY "collectors" (not only of 78's!), I would
estimate that about 99% of them, regardless of what was being
collected, were male.!

The actual question here is "What drives certain humans to "collect"
as many as possible examples of a selected artifact?!...and HOW
deeply is this drive "built in" to the average Homo Sapiens mind?!

Obviously, there is effectively SFA in/about the "collecting" drive
that assists...or CAN assist (or could have?!) the survival of the
human under consideration! BUT...back in ancient days...DID
our proto-human ancestors try to collect selected objects?!
If so...WHY?!

Steven C. Barr