[78-L] Found A Good One Yesterday

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jul 17 18:07:22 PDT 2009

I have to go ALL the way back to my earliest years of buying 78's for
my tale! This would be c. 1978 or so...I was buying vast quantities of
78's at a Toronto store, Don's Discs (run by Don Keele, who still
sells 78's!)...usually for around a quarter or less each. I went in one
day, and he had ten or fifteen V-38xxx Victors; I was afraid they
would be well outside my price range, but he said "two bucks
apiece if you want them all!" VERY listenable records...some I
have never run across again!

As well, I bought an Ipana Troubadors Columbia from Don for $1.
Took it home and played it ("Rose Of Mandalay") and I thought
"that singer sure sounds like Crosby!" Looked it up later in ADBD
and sure enough the singer WAS Bing!

Finally, last year (IIRC) I bought about 600 78's, for $50, from a
local music store whose owner is a friend of mine and who is aware
I collect 78's! Mostly the usual late-thirties/forties stuff that is widely
available (well, for 78's anyway...?!)...but among the discs was a
Victor by Tommy McClennan (IIRC)...a blues artist of the pre-WWII
period. VERY nice record...which I DIDN'T already own! How
this wound up in an Oshawa 78 collection (it was a US record) I
wot not...but it was certainly a VERY pleasant surprise?!

Steven C. Barr