[78-L] Collecting hobbies and their prices...

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jul 17 17:45:31 PDT 2009

Since I sort of accidentally started this debate a while back, I thought I
would
try to explain more clearly what I was talking about...?!

To begin with, there are countless (or nearly so) collection-hobbies...I
wouldn't
even try to enumerate these! However, they all have significant numbers of
"xxx-collectors," who have over the years created associations. My brother,
for example, collects anything (toys, not comic books...!) based on or
related to Donald Duck...he has a very few "early" (thirties) items in his
collection of around a thousand or so. I suspect there are also "one-off"
collectors...folks who are fascinated by various vintage artifacts to the
point they try to acquire as many different examples as possible. In fact,
I once gave serious thought to collecting pre-electric vacuum cleaners; I
had come across three or four at Illinois farm auctions (usually VERY
cheaply, since I was the only interested party...!).

However, in the last 40-50 years, something new appeared. These
might be best described as "instant collectibles"...they were made
available in limited quantities and for limited terms...and were HEAVILY
promoted as "current/new COLLECTIBLES!" by their manufacturers.
As well, someone (most likely the manufacturer?!) made sure there
was a "OFFICIAL Price Guide" available...of course! The fairly
recent example of this phenomenon is/was "Beanie Babies"...these
were probably never intended as toys, but instead as "collectables"
with the implied possibility of getting rich quickly...!

As well, some already-established collecting hobbies seemed to
change from a serious hobby populated by a small group of
knowledgeable experts...to a "get rich quick" "hobby(?!)" with
prices keeping ordinary every-day folks out of the milieu! This
is (IMO) what has happened to "antique cars"...which are
increasingly promoted as an "anti-inflation hedge!" There is a
SUBSTANTIAL difference between collecting items one loves
and enjoys...and/or collecting with one (or both) eye(s) on the
increasing value of one's collection!

Now, the collecting of pop-tune 78's (I differentiate between
this and the collecting of classical...especially vocal classical...
78's, if only because the latter group insisted on differentiating
themselves from "jazz collectors...?!) has existed since some
unknown point in the late thirties, when the first "jazz discographies"
appeared (and the word "discography" was invented!). Record
Changer first appeared in 1941, allowing pop-78 collectors to
sell records to one another...it in turn begat Record Research
(c.1956)...and later the unrelated New Amberrola Graphic
(AFAIK, now discontinued?). These periodicals performed
to a great extent (but less "organized") the same function now
performed by 78-L...?!

So far (as I noted)...and oddly enough...the "value" of a 78 old
enough to be of interest (but NOT so rare as to be of "SPECIAL
interest!") has remained in the $1 area! There are of course
exceptions (all too often based on ignorance, greed, or BOTH!).
I should note here that my living on a much-less-than-generous
retirement income is the MAIN reason I don't endorse suggestions
that 78rpm phonorecords should increase in price/value along
with inflation! In fact, I hope to resume/continue my 78-buying
activity once a few details about my pensions are sorted out!

Note also that I am interested in acquiring ANY 78rpm phonorecord
which I do not already own (unless it is rare and valuable [SERIOUSLY!]
enough to be beyond my limited means...i.e. I WON'T be trying to
acquire "Zulu's Ball" even if I get the chance!)...!

Steven C. Barr