[78-L] Cecil Gant & Red Foley duet

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Fri Jul 17 11:24:36 PDT 2009

        Pvt. Cecil Gant, the G.I. Sing-Sation, died at age 37, in 1951,
while touring in his native Tennessee.  His obit mentions that he had
recently recorded with Red Foley, but doesn't mention the title of the
tracks.  (
http://blacknashville.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/cecil-gant-1913-1951/ )
        Gant had just joined Decca, where Foley had been recording for at
least a decade.  I can see that several sides were released posthumously
by Decca and many other labels, but I can't see their duet listed
anywhere.  Does anyone recognize a Foley collaboration in the list of
Deccas below?  Or was it a case of Gant's disc dieing with him?
        Also, Decca seems to have re-issued his first hit (I wonder /
Cecil's boogie) in 1957.  Was this a remake from 1950/51, or a lease of
the earlier Gilt-Edge recording?

I used this Spanish discography page to come up with a list of Decca
titles (
http://hallelujah-rnr.iespana.es/index_archivos/CecilGantBiografia.htm )

Decca 48170   (as Gunter Lee Carr) Goodnight Irene / We're Gonna Rock
(07.1950)
Decca 48185   Hello Santa Claus / It's Christmas Time Again  (12.1950)
Decca 48191  Train Time Blues / It Ain't Gonna Be Like That  (12.1950)
Decca 48200  Shot Gun Boogie / Rock Little Baby  (01.1951)
Decca 48212  Don't You Worry / My Little Baby  (06.1951)
Decca  ?  Owl Blues / ?  (09.1951)
Decca 48249  The Grass Is Getting Greener / God Bless My Daddy  (10.1951)
Decca 30320 reissue  I Wonder / Cecil's Boogie (Spring 1957)

        Perhaps the Foley title(s) is in this "complete" list (also from
the Spanish webpage)

The Complete Recordings, Vol. 7: 1950-1951 (King?)

01. Goodnight Irene
02. My House Fell Down
03. We're Gonna Rock
04. Yesterday
05. Someday You'll Be Sorry
06. Owl Stew
07. Playin' Myself The Blues
08. Train Time Blues
09. It Ain't Gonna Be Like That
10. It's Christmas Time Again
11. Hello Santa Claus
12. Paging Mr. Jackson
13. Shot Gun Boogie
14. Rock Little Baby
15. Little Baby
16. Don't You Worry
17. God Bless My Daddy
18. The Grass Is Getting Greener
19. I'll Remember You (If You'll Remember Me) (bonus track)
20. Roll 'Em Pete (bonus track)
21. I Wonder (bonus track)
22. Cecil's Boogie (bonus track)

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.