[78-L] Willie & the Wheel

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 17 11:02:02 PDT 2009

I'm getting in the car and headin' to Waterloo Records right now.

CD by Willie Nelson & Asleep at the Wheel called "Willie & the Wheel."
Apaprently this project had been germinating ever since Jerry Wexler
recorded "Shotgun Willie" with Nelson in 1974. Wexler finally got around to
recommending tracks to Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel shortly before he
died in 2007 and the CD was made. The tracks came from western swing
reissue LPs - some of which I produced. It's nice to see Benson expand
beyond his usual recordings of Bob Wills tunes. This one includes lots of
stuff recorded on 78 by Milton Brown, Cliff Bruner, Spade Cooley, and Hank
Penny, in addition to Wills. Titles are: