[78-L] blue amberols

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Thu Jul 16 16:53:05 PDT 2009

This month, I am teaching a group of adorable and very precocious
immigrant kids (Chinese and Vietnamese mostly, ranging in age from 8
to 12), tutoring them in English and helping them learn about
American history/pop culture, etc. I brought in some artifacts of
early media, like a newspaper from 1865, a children's magazine from
1889, and a couple of cylinders... they were especially curious about
the blue amberol I showed them  -- why was it blue, how did it get to
be blue, did the color affect the sound quality in any way, etc.  I
do recall an ad campaign from Vocalion Records in the early 20s about
how "Red records are better!"  But I am not an expert on cylinders--
like, why the color blue was chosen or how the color was achieved...
We may have discussed this a while back, but I don't recall. Any
explanations would be appreciated!