[78-L] tolerance

joe@salerno.com jsalerno at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 16 06:29:27 PDT 2009

> Joe Salerno -- expert in piano recordings and recording transfer
> engineer, producer and provider of recordings for reissues.

I never really thought of myself as a transfer engineer, more like a
very advanced hobbiest. I have made some recordings from my collection
to real producers who make a living (does anybody do that?) issuing
reissues. I transferred quite a few transcriptions for the First Gen
Radio Archive, but that was volunteer work.

I'm not a total flake. I've had real jobs before becoming self employed
(since 1984).

I worked in the Texas Medical Center, that's where I got my start in the
video business. Then I worked for a petrochem company for a while until
things got rough and a lotta people left those jobs...

I've worked in video production since 1980, gosh almost 30 years now.
Recent projects - I produced a 4 camera shoot of Abbey Simon performing
at the International Piano Festival in Houston. I was field producer for
the first DVD of PDQ Bach, and so far as I know the only one at this
point. Recently I shot several concerts of the Texas Music Festival
Orchestra - 3 cameras. I'm producing a demo DVD for several young
conductors. I like doing classical music projects, but I do the other
kinds of things too, for broadcast, cable, yada yada yada.  I don't care
for shooting news, but I've done that too and avoid it as much as
possible. I once told Don Manildi of IPAM that it would be fun to be
employed in the classical music industry, but I wouldn't want to make a
living at it. Does anyone?

Here's the part most of you don't know about me. I once studied music,
have a Master's degree. But I'm in the video business now.

Collectably yours,

joe salerno