[78-L] Fox Movietone label

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 15 20:17:31 PDT 2009

djwein at earthlink.net wrote:
>> I have a couple of the Orchestra Wives 78s (originally was going to be
>> titled "Orchestra Wife") for the soundtrack,  as well as some from
>> Alexander's Ragtime Band and a couple other 30s Fox films.
>>
>> The latest one I have is Alice Faye singing "You'll Never Know" from
>> Hello,  Frisco,  Hello...that's '44 or '45.
>>
>> I wonder if they started switching to tape after that which is why we (or at
>> least I) don't see any similar disks from early 50s musicals.
>>

>> Taylor
>
> Oh, there are later ones out there - I have some from 1951-54 MGM musicals; I've seen on eBoy Marilyn Monroe discs from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES; and there are even Elvis playback 78 discs from as late as 1966!
>
> Dave W.

And as I recall, "They Shoot Horses Don't They" from 1969..I've seen lacquers
from Johnny Green's collection. I've had some of the Glenn Miller playbacks and
I used them for an Intersound disc years ago..some of the longer numbers like
Kalamazoo and Chattanooga Choo Choo were spread out over three sides. Noisy
shellac, too.