[78-L] BB albums and oddball labels

Scott Wenzel scott at mosaicrecords.com
Wed Jul 15 08:40:07 PDT 2009

Thanks for the answers to my Bluebird album question. I guess then that in
the "classic" era of Bluebird 1933 - 1945 there was only one real album (the
Shaw set) and some of the sleeves pasted to cardboard type. Oh...and no I
was not interested in the kiddie records of the late 40s. ("Wing"
it...a-paul-ing - OUCH !)

Now, another subject. Picked up recently in a Stamford Goodwill, three 78s
with labels I don't think I've seen before. The Seger label (manufactured by
Imperial Crown Specialties in NYC) with Bernice Parks (a Copacabana star and
one-time vocalist with Russ Morgan's Orch) acc. By Fred Norman's Orch (the
big band arranger??).

The other is a good jump blues record on the Onyx label (manufactured by
Onyx on 701-7th Ave, NYC) with The Togge Smythe Booters. And the last is
(and I believe this label has been talked about on 78-l) is Top-Ten Hits
with one Jesse Perry performing "Jezebel" and "Because of Rain" - pop stuff.

Any thoughts out there?

Scott Wenzel