[78-L] tolerance

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 00:37:26 PDT 2009

buster wrote:
> This group, by definition, is composed of a higher than average number
> of "eccentrics." That's what we record collectors are, to ourselves at
> least, as has recently been discussed. Outsiders are less kind, often
> (seen "Ghost World" or "American Splendor"?  78 collectors are
> pitiable freaks and outcasts).  We have bombastic pontificators,
> tightwads, endless repeaters, egotists, antisocial hermits, whiners,
> and who knows what else.  I mean, fergawdsakes, if you need any
> evidence just look at Leah's trailer, or go to an ARSC event.
>
> But when somebody needs an obscure matrix number, it's here too. We
> put up with one to get the other, or at least we'd like to hope so.
>
> So if a member is eccentric here in this hopefully safe environment,
> how about a little tolerance, instead of dickishness?  If nothing
> else, it requires fewer keystrokes to hit the delete key than to
> insult someone personally, at length and in public.
>
> -- Buster
> Busterdog at mac.com
----------------
I like to think we don't taking our collecting too seriously compared
with, say, stamp and coin collectors. At least our interest goes beyond
the artifact, and embraces the musicians and artists who created the
performances contained thereon.

In other words, we are "flesh-and-blood" collectors. Stamp and coin
collectors interests rarely go beyond the artifacts themselves, except
for who was king at the time. Apart from film, I can't think of any
other collecting hobby that involves living, breathing performances.
This probably makes us more rounded characters.

The only advantage stamp collecting has over record collecting is that
it involves less shlepping!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4244 (20090715) __________

http://www.eset.com