[78-L] What's the earliest known electric matrix of the D/H/VTchain store series?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jul 14 20:26:15 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
> And is that info in the Columbia files or must it be determined by
> listening (as they didn't begin putting the W on the electric sides
> until about 1931)?

To answer this accurately,I would have to find the milk box which
contains the low-number Harmonys and audition them one by one...!
In any case, there was at least one 1925 Harmony which pairs two
electric sides; these were probably recorded originally to be issued
on Columbia...but instead of being rejected were issued on Harmony.
The relevant details I NO LONGER recall...?! (dance-band sides)

> Does anyone have any idea how they decided who got recorded
> electrically or acoustically?

When Columbia first started issuing electrically-recorded Harmony
records, virtually all of them were vocalists; further, they were singers
whose records sold well (I have seen both Annette Hanshaw and
Rudy Vallee on electric Harmonys from 1928-29).

Steven C. Barr