[78-L] Pathe Records Questions

Bart garioch at texas.net
Tue Jul 14 20:11:22 PDT 2009

Bertrand CHAUMELLE wrote:
> "Allô chérie" is "Hello My Dearie" by Dave Stamper & Gene Buck.
>
> BC

Thanks.  That's something I could search for.

It may be a long while before I'm able to hear that Pathe disque, but in
the meantime
an instrumental version of "Hello, My Dearie" (1917) can be heard by
Jaudas' Society
Orchestra at UCSB.  It features what sounds like the novelty of a slide
whistle.

While listening one can ogle the illustrated cover of the sheet music here:

http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/cgi-bin/sheetmusic.pl?RagHelloMyD&Rag&1

(Sheet music is also available from the National Library of Australia
with a plain cover, and may be available elsewhere.)

The song itself is a telephone romance song:

Hello, get me please 1 - 4 - 1
Central, waiting here is no fun
Don't butt in, you cut in, just get off the wire.
I'm not done, 1 - 4 - 1 that's what I desire.
Hello, my dearie, I'm lonesome for you.
I want you near me, oh, honest I do.
Come over I'm all alone.
That's why I called you by phone.
Loving like this is, some people admire
but cuddles and kisses you can't send by wire
I have the blues, don't refuse, or you'll lose me
So honey hurry or I will worry
I love you so,
Goodbye.

Not likely to replace Ada Jones' "All Alone" (not the Irving Berlin
tune) in my affection...

Bart