[78-L] 78 Prices--was:Here is the article on Tefteller andParamount fromtheNY Times

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jul 12 21:47:00 PDT 2009

Argh...I thought Mr.  Barr had gotten this self-pitying and self-rewinding
rant (included blow if anyone wants to reread it)  out of his system but I
guess not.

So,  and knowing full well that it will change no one's mind,  here I am
snatching at the bait dangled right in front of me.   I would make a few
observations...

1.  Record Research is long,  long, LONG  gone.  You might as well wish for
the days of good quality 78s for a nickel or a dime  at the Salvation Army.
The RR minimum when I started bidding in 1965 was 50 cents per record.
Minimum wage then was 90 cents per hour.  Now Nauck has a $3.00 minimum ,
and minimum wage in Washington State  is over $8.00 an hour.  So using Steve
B's special "good old days pocket calculator" I  guess Record Research was
actually too expensive back then,  right?  I wonder if Vice President
Marshall would come back today and still hope to find a good five cent
cigar...

2.  Anyone who could drive the value of the "average 78" up to $10 each
would not be a  "screaming idiot."   That person would be a financial and
marketing genius.    But I'd wager if Steve's 78s are mostly worthless now
(his own take on it) they would still be worthless then.  There will always
be the "crash and burn" potential with things which are intentionally
manufactured to be "collectables" which 78 records were not.  Comparing them
with or likening them to Beanie Babies is ridiculous...it's an insult to
records and to beanie babies as well.

3.  Kurt Nauck sells many great records,  often for very low prices.  If
someone does not care about quality but only about quantity,  this would not
be of interest.  But to most collectors,  quality is important.  Kurt  ships
your winnings in very sturdy and well packed boxes...I guess that's all he
can do since he doesn't have any milk crates.

4.  The idea that "most" rarities first  issued on 78 have been reissued or
are now available in some form is so patently stupid and ignorant that I
can't even think what to say...oh,  wait,  I already said it:  STUPID AND
IGNORANT.  To list that as a reason for not buying "overpriced rarities" and
then also mention that they  "fall outside of my budget" sounds very much
like our old friend the fox from Aesop,  talking trash about the grapes
which remained out of reach.

Please...let's just give the boo-hoo-hoo poor mouthing a rest for at least a
week.

Taylor