[78-L] It was asked a while back...?!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jul 12 19:16:34 PDT 2009

Okeh...I recall seeing a question (or more) about dance information
on 78 labels...and when "Fox Trot" took over...?!

Since I'm currently looking reecord-by-record at several milk boxes
of Victors covering around 16500 to 18600...here is a summary of
my findings!

Victor records first started providing the dance information in mid-
1913. This was around (or shortly after?) the time when Victor
began promoting the idea that a buyer could dance to the music
provided by his/her/its Victrola; I would guess that Victor felt
its record buyers would need this information so they knew HOW
to dance to the different records...?!

The "Fox Trot" seems to first appear around 1914. In fact, the
earliest ft record in my archive is/was "That Funny Fox Trot!"

By 1918, Victor discs were virtually ALL either "One Step"
or "Fox Trot" records (well, there were a FEW waltzes?!").
My project has currently reached mid-1919...and fox trots
are starting to outnumber one-steps...?!

FWIW...?!

...stevenc