[78-L] Definistration demonstration (was: Introduction (a bit long))

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sun Jul 12 17:31:27 PDT 2009

Oh, bosh.
Ever watch a piano tuner work? He stops the notes he doesn't need to
hear when tuning with little rubber gizmos.
The only way a C major chord would have resulted is if all the felt
dampers (operated by the sustain pedal) for the triad (C-E-G) were
removed along the entire length of the keyboard or if all the other
notes were stopped.
THEN you'd get a C major chord when it hit the ground.
But only for a very short period of time.
I'd be curious to hear the difference between the piano hitting concrete
or, say, grass, though. And is the sound at impact any difference if the
instrument is tossed off a 10 story building, or pitched from a 3 story
building.
I think it'd be more fun recording a prepared piano bouncing down a long
flight of steps, ala Laurel & Hardy though
The mind boggles.
Mal

*******