[78-L] [OT] Economics: macro vs whacko

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Sat Jul 11 16:03:38 PDT 2009

Mike B rightly asks me if I "parrot" my economics.  Just let me finish this
cracker and I'll tell you.
There was a lot of mindless retaliatory protectionism in Canada during the
Great Depression, which only made a stupid situation twice as bad.
Americans won't buy Canadian eggs?  Well, then Americans can't sell their
eggs here, etc.  The economists playing Monday morning quarterback seem to
agree that the isolationist policies of 1930's, despite the populist appeal
to the layman, effectively made both national economies into smaller pies
from which the citizens drew uneven shares.
I'd be glad to discuss this with anyone off list.  I know this isn't the
forum for an intentional discussion of politics.
Try these videos to see with which side you sympathize:
For Protectionism:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJThSA59uqI
anti-Smoot-Hawley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHJ3_FJZKg
  If there's any one out there who gets irritated by hearing different
  opinions, or gets distressed when they find issues aren't black and
  white, then don't even bother starting with me.

  I don't think Canadians ever prevented American bands from touring.  More
  likely a sensible band manager wouldn't attempt to cover the great
  distances in Canada between gigs.  A residency would be preferable; the
  best hotels used American leaders (because there were only so many
  Romanellis to go round).  And the radio networks carried as much American
  programming as the TV networks do now.  (Thankfully, since this is how
  some of the Vic and Sade episodes survived.)
  I never thought I'd say it, but we need Jack Valenti to explain open
  markets to us.  Gee, I hated that man.  If he wasn't fighting government
  to get MORE American movies on our screens, then it was MORE American
  magazines, etc.  He was never satisfied.
- Stephen D
in Calgary

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or