[78-L] Jolson's Hallelujah I'm a Bum on DVD

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 11 15:13:53 PDT 2009

I don't use Netflix myself, but here are some early musicals worth looking for:

The Roan Company has "The Vagabond Lover" (1929) and "Dixiana" (1930) available;
I haven't seen the former but the latter is a very nice edition with Technicolor scenes
intact and "La Cucaracha" (1934) as an extra (the audio is somewhat low on it, IIRC).

Kino has had "Applause" (1929) and "Love Me Tonight" (1932) available for some time,
and just a couple of years ago they release two United Artists musicals from 1930:
"Be Yourself" with Fannie Brice and "The Lottery Bride" with Jeanette MacDonald. Both
are edited versions of the original releases (which I've heard do survive for both), but
these are probably the only editions we'll have on DVD for some time.

Image has "The Gay Desperado" (1936) available, as well as "365 Nights in Hollywood"
(1934).

I suppose "Hallelujah" isn't a full-fledged musical, but it's an interesting picture in
many other ways. WHV has it available.

Smaller companies like Grapevine and Alpha may have issued various PD
titles as well, but I haven't looked into their listings as much.

-Harold