[78-L] Bad news on record

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 10 09:27:43 PDT 2009

I totally agree. I just played the Goodman medley and was reduced to
laughing tears (again). If ever you get the chance to hear the Born to Be
Wild/Tell Laurie I Love Her sequence, it willl show you what a knowledgable
and musically gifted performer Steve Goodman was.

(And getting this back to 78 land) He often performed with Jethro Burns and
wrote a great song about Carl Martin and did a song where he talks about
Alfred Brumley then launches into a slide guitar version of I'll Fly Away
(a song, he says, that proves you don't have to know much about spirituals
to like gospel music).  Goodman was a true songster that could play
whatever his audience wanted to hear.

Having the chance to hear Goodman live was one of the few reasons I would
have traded living in Austin for living in Chicago in the seventies.  I got
to hear my other three college musical favorites (David Bromberg, Loudon
Wainwright, and Taj Mahal) at Armadillo World Headquarters but not Goodman.

Laurie